Skip to main content

Musings on bravery


I did something brave this week. My friends tell me it was brave. And yet it didn’t fit the image of bravery that perhaps we all hold in our minds (I didn’t jump in front of a car to save a pet meerkat or anything like that). What I did I think I may have only done once before- and given that I’m not quite ready to tell what I did this week I will tell you about the previous incident.

It was about 17 years ago- on a street in downtown Johannesburg. I was walking with a friend and suddenly I was aware of people a little too close. Someone suddenly placed their hand on my bag. I tugged a little to get it back. And then I glanced down and noticed a grubby blade pointed at my belly. I glanced up and noted a knife at the throat of my friend.

* an aside* At this point there is a Hollywood plot that still emerges in my head: one where I kicked the knife out of the hand of the assailants, pushed them to the floor and ran off. There is a redeemed version where David Wilkerson style I say “you can cut me into a thousand pieces and every one of them will scream I love you” at which they repent and ask to be baptised.

The brave thing I did on that day was letting go of the bag.

When I let go of the bag I let go of any sense that somehow I was invulnerable. I sobbed for about three days after that- and then spent the rest of my time in South Africa with a rubbish bag but with a sense of freedom I had never had before. I learned that even when vulnerable I could be OK (perhaps especially when vulnerable)

The brave thing I did this week was another moment where I somehow chose vulnerability over superhumanity. I chose to let go of a bag I had filled with my sense that I should be strong to protect others, a bag packed full of impressive ‘you can’t beat me’ posturing. And once again I find freedom. I find the sense that vulnerable is OK- that vulnerable is where I am most alive.

And I find that vulnerable is where I most find God. It makes sense I guess, that I find this vulnerable God- the one who incarnated himself as a baby, who subjected himself to another’s baptism and who finally subjected himself to another’s death. And in His bravery- of not being heroic as we understand it- he won a most lasting and transforming victory.

So I think I might want to redefine bravery for me. Bravery is about letting go, about choosing vulnerability over posturing strength.

The strange thing about that is that I have a feeling that it will lead to more “brave” acts. When I let go of my bag in Johannesburg my friend was released. After this week I am more aware of how I can love and serve other people in a sustained and boundaried way.

So here’s to bravery- in all its forms- but especially the letting go kind.

Comments

jual mesin las said…
nice info, thanks

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on