Skip to main content

Time for a new eschatology..


I started writing this post on Saturday, and left it as I thought it was too early to comment on the Newtown shootings. However, a week on and I feel that I still think the same so wonder if its worth sharing. Its been a week in which I have spent every day with some six and seven year olds. Its been a week in which I have watched head teachers express their pain at the loss of children and staff thousands of miles away. Not one of them mentioned the need to arm more people for protection.

I was hanging out with these young people for Christmas services; ones where I talked about light coming into the world- light that gets lighter and lighter.. If you like a coming Kingdom. In that Kingdom, yes there is suffering, yes it is hard, but there will come a day when Jesus returns and sorts it out. In the meantime the church lives in such a way that we point to this way of living. WE look for signs of good and usher more into being. We seek the positive, weep over the negative, but come against it in love and grace.

In short, our eschatology (well mine, I think the kids were more into the animal noises) is one of hope; one of peace..

Not all eschatologies are the same. It seems to me that if you have an eschatology of battle (things will get worse and worse until the end times when they get even worse and then in a moment it is all sorted out) then the NRA response to the massacre of the innocents makes much more sense. It also seems to me that most of the eschatology of that kind that I have ever encountered has come from the USA- and most famously is popularised in the Left Behind series.

If many of your Christian community believe that the world is getting worse and the Christian duty/ response is to survive the tribulation- well then it begins to seem more logical that its OK to arm oneself. Trusting that we are the good guys we think it is OK to bear arms.. even though the one who we follow laid down his.

So my take- we need a new popular eschatology.. one that reflects more the nature of the one who we follow..


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on