Skip to main content

The Quick and The Right: Lessons for national institutions..

WARNING: This post comes before 8am on a Saturday, with just one coffee in the system!

Two institutions: one problem.



Both the BBC and the Church of England have come in for a drubbing this week. And in what might be a stretch too far I wonder if they actually face a very similar problem.

You see in both spheres- the culture in which these national bodies operate has changed. The news cycle has got faster, someone turning up with a mobile phone will break news faster than getting a TV crew there with all its health and safety checks. The BBC has tried to respond, and in the last few weeks has jumped on the speed bandwagon with pretty disastrous consequences. From allegations about abuse, to wrongly retweeted pictures from war zones, it seems to me that the BBC has lost its integrity as an unbiased news outlet because it has tried to keep up with the less accurate but quicker Skynews. I don't think we can have both.

Enter the Church of England. Again the world in which it operates has changed. Though there is a certain level of hypocrisy in the outrage at inequality (4/31 cabinet members are women) it does clearly show that the UK wants women to be Bishops (wonder how many people know what a Bishop does).

And the Church of England faces a barrage of calls that it does something QUICKLY.. I sort of agree that leaving this for another three or four years would be difficult, not least for hamstringing another Archbishop's tenure. However, rushing to break long established rules which are part of the way it works may not be wise. There will be a huge temptation to do it NOW, but I wonder if it is now more important to do it right.

Whilst I don't particularly hold episcopal aspirations, I think I would like to know its OK to be a Bishop based on a public, thoughtful, agreed decision. Its certainly preferable to a cobbled together something to appease the MP for Basingstoke.

It seems we too can do it quickly or we can take a tiny bit longer and we can do it right.

For both, it would help if people got off our backs a bit while we learn to adapt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on