Skip to main content

Its about what we do on Wednesday

I have drafted several blog posts about the vote around women bishops. I have saved some, deleted others and now with fourteen hours to go before the debate starts this is all I have to say.

Whatever happens tomorrow, it is about what we do on Wednesday.

If the measure does not pass my prayer is that I and the many other women in ordained ministry, will get up and get on with the job which God has given us now. My prayer is that almost universally, those whose authority we serve under, support the idea of women in the episcopate. May that stir us on to further acts of service, in the trust that this will come to pass. In short let us just get straight back on with the job at hand.

If the measure passes then my prayer is that those who feel they cannot accept the episcopal ministry of women will wait. Legislation is fleshed out in its practice not in its words. My prayer is that churches and clergy will wait. My prayer is that they will hold the church to its word, to respect their view and to allow this to work itself out in practice. My prayer is that they too will get on in trust, that this is a body which seeks to honour all. In short I hope they just get straight back on with the job at hand.

Because it is what we do on Wednesday that will ultimately say more to real people in real life, than all we can say and vote in synod tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on