Skip to main content

Talking About Stuff

I have spent this early morning (when perhaps I should have been training or doing something else) reading a few blog posts and tweets. There have been a couple of good ones today.. talking about why we don't go for exponential growth in churches.. this tweet.. "So many write on principles for successful churches. Hardly ever do they mention intimacy with Christ, dying to self & loving the unlikely." I have a dilemma. I want to write about some of these things. I sort of feel that I have something to say about church with people who aren't like me, or in fact who are not like each other. I want to talk about the difficulty for my ego of having a church which is bursting with potential and yet not quite there yet. But its really hard when the people you are talking about are real. Its really easy to tweet into the ether about loving people who aren't like us until this people are concrete real people with ether unique smells and sounds. Maybe this stuff was easier when all we had was books. Things only got written after a modest amount of time and editing- reflection and space were possible before committing accounts of interaction with real people. In these instant days it feels like there is no appropriate pause. And so I am left with a dilemma, do I say things that might hurt the very people I love, or do I say nothing and leave the writing to those who perhaps don't have the privilege of doing the living?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on