Skip to main content

In the country of the coalition the hypocrite is King.


This morning I will preach on Jesus driving the traders out of the Temple. A much referred to passage in recent months- but I won't dwell on the implications for St Pauls. Because for me, at the heart of the passage is Jesus clearing the way that ALL can worship God, uninhibited by the traders, by the people who want to make a fast buck or who purely want to be exclusive.

Jesus in that moment condemned the hypocrisy of selling access to the Divine.

This morning I condemn the hypocrisy of trading access to the Divine in pursuit of political gain.

It is my belief that David Cameron is playing with people of faith. He uses the word Christian to defend his vision of England but will sell people of faith out when it comes to marriage, public professions of faith and the right to dress according to our beliefs. He will allow free schools to bear the brunt of angry publicity as he quietly privatises education (and the Church of England should be ashamed that we have complied with this agenda). But he won't stand for religious bodies to have different policies as they arrange the adoptions that his government so craves.

This is hypocrisy of the worst kind. Mr Cameron is taking that which people hold most dear and is selling it, I believe to try and widen his electoral appeal and shore up his coalition.

And for that reason should Mr Cameron choose to attend the communities of faith in which I preside, I will find myself with a verbal whip of cords driving his inconsistent political point scoring games out of a place where none should find barriers to worship.

You can call me exclusive, you can say that Jesus would have welcomed Mr Cameron. But I turn you to the rich young man. Jesus challenges some to the point where they are faced with their own inadequacy/ hypocrisy. I turn you to John 2 when Jesus attacks those who keep people from the divine. I turn you to the fervent anger of Jesus disciples at injustice..

And lets face it: chances of Mr Cameron turning up in Inner City Leeds...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on