Skip to main content

Reasons to be cheerful..

I am sure that all Church of England clergy and officials occasionally find themselves hiding behind their hands as one of our colleagues takes to the screen. In a fast moving media age any one of us could fall foul of a bad few moments on camera- and in reality we have colleagues who don't always share the most 'normal' of views.

And so I have been pleasantly reassured this morning: as one of the clergy from St Paul's (Giles Fraser to name) was interviewed by Sky News. Speaking in normal English, with no pastoral head tilt, Revd Fraser said clearly and concisely that he supported the Occupy protestors right to protest and that he had asked the police to move in from the steps of the Cathedral. Good job sir: the most lavish of cathedrals sitting amidst that most wretched Square Mile, but still speaking for the rest of us. (Westminster Abbey and its golden dome proposals might want to take note.. )

Add to that that all 26 bishops who were present, voted against the hurried NHS bill this week and I might have to retrain my hands to not shield my eyes everytime a collar appears..

That and Rev is back for a second series next month!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on