Skip to main content

Hopeless Romanticism?

Its day after we said no to AV. I'm not here to gloat. As some of you will know in the last days of the campaign I was wavering, I was perhaps listening to the voices which said this is the only choice you will ever have.

Honest moment: I spoiled my ballot. I hope an honest statement about how I felt about the choice offered.

I still believe AV is not what we need. If we decide we want a more democratically elected government then there are better systems. I still don't think that we as a nation are sure that we really want democratic representation in its truest sense. (I know we don't want real democracy).

However, this morning the pro AV people are very disheartened. They seems to think its all over. People are telling me that this was our only chance for a generation. Well maybe I watch too much West Wing, but I don't believe that. I believe that things can be changed and that when you suffer a defeat you reflect; you work out if this is the fight you still want to have. You get up. And you have another go. The old fashioned term is perseverance.

In my life time (in fact in 18 months during my sixth form years) immovable forces have been moved.. the Berlin Wall fell, and Eastern Europe was transformed, Thatcher resigned.. all things which seemed impossible.

Electoral Reform is on the agenda. Its time for those 30% of people who really care to get up off the mat and start to fight again. The fight needs to be redefined.. lets ask for the system we really want. And lets keep asking. We can make it not go away if those who have been passionate for a few weeks stay just that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on