Skip to main content

Kettles..

Now normally in my role the word kettle would be used in a sentence that goes something like: "shall we put the kettle on?".

However, that would be far too dull to blog about so as you may have gathered this is about 'student' protests and kettling.

It seems to me that kettling has to stop. As much because it doesn't work as any issue of human rights. To use a tactic that was I suspect finely honed in dealing with football fans, really is not going to work. Some students broke off the official route because they didn't want to be kettled.

As to the violence. Not acceptable or helpful full stop. Unwise but instructive as to an underlying tension.

What became clear to me is that we actually have two issues. The media, because it reminds us of our own student days?, will major on tuition fees at higher ed level. But the anger I want to suggest is among those who have already had their EMA cut. EMA helps poorer kids to be subsidised through further education. It encompasses kids whose families are on benefits through to clergy kids!

Its cut has already unlevelled the playing field. Its cut is probably disproportionally going to affect the poor. This cut will mean that students won't be able to take up tuition fee help at higher ed level..

The education team need to get this in line. Cutting at the top (HE) to give more to the bottom is a Gove line.. he needs to get his house in order over EMA if he is not to face more violence.

From what I saw on Thursday the anger of EMA students will spill into violence again and again. They are already subject to stop and search at any time. They are already living in fear of death in the communities that they live. They are not afraid of kettling police.. They will continue to fight. When your life opportunities have been limited already then why not get into a big old fight.

I could go on. But media: ignore the actual EMA cuts that have already happened at your peril.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on