Skip to main content

curveballs, cries and justice..

Life just throws curveballs sometimes. I really could use life slowing down just for a few days- to get to a point of semi closure before some annual leave. But life is not like that. Its certainly not like it for the people I have the privilege of serving.

For those folk life throws curveballs. Tragic death; insane stories of ill health, money issues. Life might even start with some curveballs. Only 17% of children in the primary school here arrive having reached national average development levels.

I'm learning that being in this setting is a huge challenge. I want to fix, to make better.. and yet I often feel so overwhelmed that in my best moments I turn and fall into the arms of a merciful God. More and more I am aware that if I have any priestly representative function here it is, on behalf of the church, to hold this place before God.

Before this God who the gospel tells me hears our cries for justice and acts. This week's readings are about the persistent widow. She cries out for justice for her cause. Oh that we as a community here cry out for justice.

This morning as I contemplate another curveball for this community, my prayer is that God will bring justice for the cause of a family faced with the loss of a child, for the family facing long term illness, for the school being massively clobbered by tragedy and cuts.

And I pray that you might join me in crying for justice.. and that as we cry together for justice that somehow we might live justice wherever we are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on