Skip to main content

One Month In... where are we?

The new coalition Government has been in post for about a month- and the early signs (in my biased opinion) are not good.

We have- anonymity for rape defendants, English tests for migrants (both of which may be construed as anti-women).

It looks like university fees will go up, whilst apprenticeship schemes have already been cut. Thats not good for young people looking to get into meaningful work.

Free school meal pilots are being cut in Bradford and other cities; cost- £80-£125million, whilst the £130 million dragged back in non-dom taxes is deemed "insignificant" (I think thats over 6 months?). I guess we can expect that loop hole to reappear.

Apparently I might also be incentivised to recycle- or I might be had a Tory Council bothered to think about recycling solutions in a poor community (where we just have bin bags.. ).

But- its OK- because a memo has gone out urging the provinces to allow said poor people to fly their flags during the World Cup. Its lucky that the World Cup falls so early for this administration- give us six months and the pacifying patronising will not wash.

Lets pray that the new Labour leader whoever they may be, will shift the progressive movement to really speak for those being crushed by the insensitivities of this Government.

Comments

hungkyo said…
Hi! I'm new to blogging and your blog impressed me!
Can you visit my blog http://lastest-tech-news.blogspot.com/ and give me some advice?

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on