Skip to main content

Three Stone Down.. Easter Reflections..

Man its been a week. 17 services- I think somewhere in the region of 15 homilies. Easter in an Anglo- Catholic setting is really something else! I have genuinely journeyed through Holy Week at a whole other level- and have emerged on the other side with a sense of newness but also of exhaustion.

I have also emerged three stone lighter than I was in the middle of November. Lots of people have asked how I have done it and that is the stuff of another post- but suffice to say it is done and I am happy!

Last week was manic. It was busy in a wholly different way. Its left me with so much to think about how I would do things next year/ in my own church/ ever. But I want to hone in on maybe one aspect.

On Monday of last week I rushed into church for a Eucharist that I was preaching at. I had come straight from school and my purse was in my bag. Which I left in the vestry and in the rush did not lock. A guy was hanging around at the back of church- and even walked halfway up the aisle as I preached. At the end of the service my purse was gone and someone had tried to get £200 of cash using one of my cards.

Aside from the faff and the thinking, why am I doing silly services at the front when at the back someone is struggling.. the whole thing just gets weirder. This same guy turned up at a further three or four services through the week. He was challenged by my boss, and denied it- and then was still hanging around.

Yesterday as I was preaching (on forgiveness/ grace/ new starts) I saw him disappear into the back of church again (this time followed by a church warden). More money has gone missing.. but what is going on? I feel so challenged to ask the Jesus question- what do you want me to do for you?

My prayer is twofold.. trivially I would like my drivers licence and student card back please! More significantly I pray that this guy will know God's grace and love. That somehow in all the faff and non contact he would have had a sense of the risen Jesus calling him by name. And I guess I also pray that God will continue to challenge me and speak to me about what He is up to in all this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on