Skip to main content

Stones Rolled Away*

* joke originally cracked by the very witty MJ Knight.

This post is mainly because a few people have asked how I have done the weight losing thing. I'm not sure this is wholly comprehensive but its a few thoughts.

Three stone in 20 weeks! Thats about 2.1 pounds a week, around about a kilo. It sounds dramatic but the weight loss has been pretty steady. Its mainly been achieved by upping my metabolic rate, so that I am burning calories more quickly and more consistently.

Thats been achieved by:
1 Eating within half an hour of waking up each morning. So eating a small breakfast before getting in the shower.
2 Eating little and often, so more like five or six small meals than two or three big ones. Supplementing that with fruit or veg snacks so that I eat about every two to three hours.
3 Exercise. Only really three sessions a week of about an hour each.

I think that accounts for some of the weight loss but there have also been diet changes.
1 I cut out sugar in all hot drinks
2 No biscuits at meetings (important in this job)
3 Wherever possible having a wholewheat option rather than a white carbs option.
4 Eating fewer carbohydrates as the day goes on (so having none in an evening meal if its after 6pm).
5 Lots of chicken and fish.
6 Losing the sauce, less mayo, ketchup, butter (but have butter not rubbish marg)

And in terms of shaping: well thats where the exercise has really kicked in. Top tips:
1 20 minutes of cardio vascular work is apparently a good fat burner.
2 eat lots of protein to help with muscle soreness
3 kettlebells are horrible but work every muscle (including the ones you never knew you had)
4 I have had the blessing of a trainer- costly but so very worth it. Failing that have someone who encourages you through the pain barriers..

I think thats about it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on