Skip to main content

Staying on the Edge..

Coming back from holiday is always a funny one. I think I always experience a bit of discontent, and this week has been no exception. I have come back to long run of meetings (I think I have on night off other than days off in the next three weeks). I'm not moaning about being busy, but I am beginning to get angsty about how much mission is getting missed because I am in those meetings.

Meetings drag me to the centre. They force compromise. They are generally about things that are already established. They often focus on problems and details and things which in my head are not important enough to worry about. They make me wonder if we can do anything. They are often an escape for when we have lost our courage: rather than just getting on with something, we have a meeting.

I feel myself tempted by the meetings culture: that under the guise of 'settling in' I will attend everything and never do anything.

I want to stay edgy. I want to stay missional. I want to stay focused on seeing the Kingdom come in this estate, and serving my congregations.

I know that it will be hard to stay out on that edge. I pray for grace to do it.

I hope it pans out. At the moment I just feel a bit careworn and grumpy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on