Skip to main content

A Bad News Day..

Today, arguably didn't start well, I woke up at 7.30am on the first day when I have nothing to do (aside from packing up my Bristol life). Whilst indulging my West Wing thing again (need to get through series seven again before starting the Wire), I checked out the BBC news site. It wasn't good.

Petty stuff aside (Newcastle going down is not petty but rather pales in the light of a democratic meltdown here and nuclear testing in Asia).

The Telegraph has stuck the knife in. They have 'exposed' that cabinet members have claimed for tax return advice. That's legal in the regulations. From what I can see they are bandying around £11,000: which is actually split between maybe 5 or 6 people over at least two years. Its the first out and out attack on the Cabinet. It puts all the other shenanigans into perspective.

The plan of attack is thus: out various people for bad expenses. Includes Tories for effect but main drive is to raise calls for an election. Then when you have some momentum on that launch on the Cabinet.

Pick a Bank Holiday when people have more time to read the papers: and you have destabilised the government.

Good tactics: twisted, lying, unfair, tabloid tactics- but they are most likely going to work.

More importantly for the near future is not who claimed what, but who will do what in reaction to North Korea's alleged nuclear test. Thus far we have condemnation. I hope very much that this will be the first show of measure from Barack Obama. This is his first major test in foreign policy. Will he change? Lets hope so.

But its not a good news day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on