Skip to main content

My Gran

My Gran is pretty poorly, I drove up to Luton this morning to come see her. As I peered into her room she looked all tiny and oh so very frail propped up in bed. But, I'd been thinking as I drove up that I would like to introduce you all to Clarice Ivy Henman. My Gran!

The first thing I should say is that Gran is an incorrigible flirt! One of my earliest memories was Gran flirting with a window cleaner when we were on holiday once. Nothing mean or nasty in it. Just incredible fun.

Which leads me to Gran and the giggles. She has giggled a whole lot!

Gran also taught me how to do very useful things, like polishing brass and hoovering (though I seem to recall treating their small old school cylinder hoover as a horse until I was about five!).

Gran used to make the best roast potatoes in the world.

Gran used to pray with us when we stayed at her house (or she told stories that sounded a lot like prayers).

Gran loves singing. She has advanced dementia now, but still (until a couple of days ago) sings hymns..

Gran also loves custard! Or anything sweet. And sherry.

I'll try and find a piccie to add to this post in a bit.. But I wanted to introduce you!

Comments

Anonymous said…
She sounds fantastic! xc
Ellen Loudon said…
she sounds amazing. much love. xxx

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on