This was in our staff news bulletin this morning. It outlines Government guidelines about food in schools, which will be enforced over the next few years. I am SO glad I'm not a kid anymore! And far be it from me to be cynical but wouldn't a more natural way of doing this be to stop middle class parents driving their kids to school and to put more PE into the primary curriculum!
· No confectionary (sweets, chocolate, chocolate biscuits etc) can be sold on school premises at any time.
· Cakes and other biscuits can only be sold at lunchtime as part of a meal i.e. no more cake sales!
· No snacks must be provided other than nuts, seeds, fruit or vegetable.
· No salt can be available to add to food after cooking.
· Deep fried food should not be provided more than twice per week.
· Starchy foods cooked in fat/oil should not be provided more than three times per week.
· Burgers, sausages and sausage products, individual meat pies and shaped meat products are only to be provided once per fortnight for each product.
· The only drinks that can be sold are water, milk (not full fat), fruit juice and yoghurt drinks.