Skip to main content

A Day in the life..

.. of me as "Miss Smith".. this was yesterday..

7.45- leave house, head for School
7.50- coffee stop- alas no pastries to help while away the morning
8.05- arrive in school, stagger into staffroom (must empty bag, too much paperwork)
8.10- find year seven books, check what I have planned fits, grab work for excluded student, write instructions for her, give to head of year.
8.20- pick up note from mentor about student. His grades have dropped under my care. Write note saying will catch up with him today but not my fault he can’t grasp abstract concepts! Wonder about how to help him improve.
8.25- plan lessons for rest of day- 6 lessons to sort.
8.35- chat with staff member asking me to check friend’s piece of work.
8.40- check piece of work, write up comments.
8.45- read notes on year ten mentee- note down to catch up with him and make him do some work!
8.55- create worksheets and resources for child soldier lesson, maybe use next week?
9.10- head to classroom
9.15- Year 7: Talk about what happened 1500- 1750. Set work. Assist students (ask self if I want to be their form tutor??)
9.55- set year seven homework
10.05, end of lesson, new textbooks for year eight. Wonder why corridor smells so strongly of vomit?
10.10- year eights arrives. Make up lesson on spot about reviewing 300 years. Moan at those who stare into space rather than asking for help. Am impressed by two or three people’s efforts. Using school approved thinking tools to help them come up with an assessed piece of work.
10.55- break. Write up questions for year nine students on board. Forget to eat apple..
11.15- bell. Year nines. Takes 5 minutes for them all to arrive. They then sit some with coats on, others seem to think they don’t need to get books out, or even a pen. I moan. Eventually working quietly. (under threat that no work means no video!)
11.40- showing Hope and Glory. Trying to avoid the sex scenes!
12.05- bell. Same lesson different group. This lot are quieter. Have a bit of a giggle over a St Patrick’s Day injury (one of them not me!)
12.55- lunch. Tidy room. Find suitable clip of Schindler’s List for this afternoon’s double year 10 lesson. Head down to staff room.. Eat salad and sarnie, check emails. Make a couple of phonecalls, mainly about the budget which I’m keeping an eye on online. Forget to print out notes on Weimar Germany for student who lost his book.
13.55- head back up to classroom. Ready myself for the onslaught of year ten. First lesson of coursework on the Holocaust!
15.35- final bell. Decide to stick around and do some marking. I’m a little bit behind and need to get up to speed before Easter if I’m going to actually have time off!
Mark my last lot of year nine essays, a year seven homework about the Black Death and some year ten answers about Nazi Germany! Happy days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on