Skip to main content

What is your gospel?

So I'm meeting the DDO again tomorrow, where we will look criteria G: faith. One of the questions is; 'what is your gospel?'. Its a really interesting question; one that I have probably answered in many ways through the last 16 years. Today I think it is..
'God made humanity to live in relationship with him, we chose to wander away from that and so the world has ended up essentially still good but just a shadow of what its meant to be. Thats true both of us individually and humanity in general. God has made a way for us to restore our relationship with him, and to become agents in restoring how things were always supposed to be. That way: is Jesus. As part of God, he lived on earth modelling the way that God chooses to change things. He kicked out demons, healed the sick, dignified the poor, and chose to subject himself to a world that hated him. He invites us to live like him- and gives us hope of doing just that through the Holy Spirit. The Bible uses the image of the Holy Spirit being a deposit, enough of God in us to remind us how it will one day be. God invites us to live back in relationship with him, and in doing that we bring his Kingdom a little closer to completion'.

Now the astute among you will realise that I have not mentioned heaven, hell, the cross, church or God's wrath. I seem to have slipped from evangelicalism..

Hmmmm..

What's your gospel?

Comments

Anonymous said…
the office of the DDO - Deputy Director (Operations) - are the 'black ops' wing of the CIA... Are you training to be a spy jude?
Jude said…
I could tell you but then I would have to kill you!
jeff said…
Very very cool gospel.
I like.
Jude said…
As did the DDO!! woo hoo
Michael said…
Out of interest, why did you leave out the cross.
Jude said…
Totally not intentional really. But I think the cross has taken on some connotations in the last years: the whole penal substitution thing. I'm not sure that the means of death is as important as the fact of death! And thats not as important as the fact of resurrection.
Anonymous said…
I wonder why you chose not to use those words...heaven, hell etc. Are you afraid of them, perhaps?

For what it's worth, I'd be encouraging you to read your bible more if you thought the condition of humanity in general was "essentially still good but just a shadow of what its meant to be."

If that's us, if we're essentially alright, we don't need the work of Jesus on the cross, which you have highlighted for us.

I'm not usually the confronting sorta person, but i must ask, Where are you getting this very, very cool gospel from?
Anonymous said…
Just remembered that i didn't leave an email address for you if you wanted to contact me in reply.

jsbirt@bigpond.com
Jude said…
Jules, thank you for your bit of pop psych there!

Thank you also for telling me to read my Bible more.. how about you tell me your gospel?

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on