Skip to main content

Happy New Feet

Hi happy new year!

I decided to give myself a very chilled start to the new year, and take advnantage of the fact I was near a big Cineworld. So you join me between happy feet and flags of our fathers. I have to say that Happy Feet disturbed me slightly.. plot spoiler on its way..

The whoel premise of the film rests on the fact that this type of penguin are supposed to have a heart song that is their very own. Mumble, the main character, doesn’t have that (arguably cos his dad dropped him when he was an egg). To cut a long story short his lack of heart song (he dances instead) means that he saves the tribe from extinction..

That’s great.

But he never finds his heart song. And that, even as I type, I find heartbreaking. I believe in a God who wants us all to find our heart song.. not to fit in, not to find a perfect life long mate, but because that what we were created to have. I know that God will use our brokenness to help us pioneer, save, develop, do amazing things. But ultimately I want God to give us our heart song. Nothing that has been stolen from us for whatever reason should be beyond the reach of God..

I guess it’s a challenge to my perspective again. What I want now, God can provide in eternity. It feels like a cop out answer saying that all will be well when the Kingdom comes fully- but I guess its true. My fairy tale ending just isn’t real. All around me I see half finished people, journeying across the metaphorical tundra, trying to bring justice out of our brokenness. I want us to be fixed and whole now.. I want it for me. But maybe I have to wait.

And while I wait I dance. But that’s a whole other post.

Comments

Carter Clan said…
Not sure how you got to the end of it. I only did because I had a 6 year old with me who would have been less than impressed at being dragged out half way through.

Having said that, I'm not sure that I interpreted it as you did. I thought that the whole point was that a heart dance was as valid as a heart song. The brokeness wasn't in the dancing but in the community's lack of willingness to see the dance as an expression of the heart.

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on