Skip to main content

THE THIEF

Comes only to kill and steal and destroy..

A less well know prerequisite to Jesus' "I have come that they may have life, and have t to the full"

I'm wondering if this is what I'm seeing happen right now. It feels like so many of us are in danger of being robbed at the moment. God is doing loads: mainly in us, but also in what we are doing and how we are doing it.. There are many of us on the cusp of something great.. and yet it seems that as soon as God takes us forward, we get robbed. We get robbed as we struggle with our own sense of self doubt, we sin- worse than we ever thought we could or would. We get hurt, we hurt otheres, we are hit by a soul crushing sense of inadequacy.. and thats just me! It all seems to want to take away from us the very thing that God is doing. It feels like we just went to the cashpoint, only to get mugged as we put the crisp tenners into our pocket.

The thief is lurking- he is intent on destroying us... he wants to steal before we grasp what God might just have in store. And yet Jesus still says and promises life to the full. I think maybe we just have to fight harder for it! We need to refuse to be robbed.. resist and he will flee... how often will I be awake enough to notice what is going on and fight... refuse to be robbed...

Lord I cling to your promise.. life in all its fullness..

Comments

Tim said…
yep, yep, i am feeling that jude. i put something similar on my blog a few days ago, in the fighting we find life the full, it's about refining character and all that. never sure if the "theif" is robbing more, or if i'm just getting more aware of what he's doing. i'm standing with you.
Anonymous said…
I've been thinking about that scripture recently too. been praying it to remind myself of our enemy, and then praying God's redemptive charater over all his attempts. I see his hand - but I guess we don't always see God's many rescues and restorations.

'Oh how I would have despaired if you had not come found me there. i can lean against your throne and find my peace'

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on