Skip to main content

Beautiful Christmas..

As some of you know this is the time of year where I struggle most living in an estate. The vast amounts of house bling that vomit itself onto the front, rear and any other aspect of local properties, betrays a deeper struggle.

Everyday I see people getting off the bus with burgeoning bags. In school, students are exchanging cards and gifts at an alarming rate. The man in the red suit riding on a sleigh has a busy night in Marsh Farm. The reality is, that in February many gifts will be taken away again: this time by men in black suits driving BMWs. The loan sharks often are the real beneficiaries of an estate Christmas.

Sadly the reality is also that Christmas, with all its excesses, will bring violenece and strife. More than just the office party fights- Christmas here means a rise in domestic violence levels, in child abuse and who knows what else.

I struggle with the whole thing on most occasions, asking how could the celebration of the coming of Christ have become this. Shouldn't we just disown it as Christians?

BUT this year something has challenged me.

Its been brewing in my heart for a few weeks but came to a focus when I went to see my school show. After the resounding success of the original run the kids put on one more show. They were amazing. I am so proud to be part of a school community that has so much talent.

They then went on to sing a song to the head teacher. I nealry winced, but then the Head nailed what was actually going on. She said, "not only are you incredibly talented, you are incredibly generous of spirit".

Thats what the estate has- generosity of spirit. People want to give. In my time here people have given without question. They have been so generous to me. And it is a huge challenge to me. To see through my asthetic hang ups, through my middle class concerns and to receive the generosity of my community. After all- the same Jesus who we celebrate at Christmas is the Jesus who celebrated a prostitute pouring perfume on his feet.. the poor you will always have with you.. what she has done will be remembered.. she has done a beautiful thing.

Praying this Christmas will be beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on