Skip to main content

Halloween Madness (but not as you might think)

I went shopping today with my family (dad, mum and niece). As is traditional in the family Smith, first stop was for a quick coffee before hitting the stores. Was just about to wander to a comfy seat with my latte when a suitably rotund witch acosted me and my niece to ask if we wanted to do the Halloween Ghost hunt. Now as you can imagine I don't really go for halloween, and was slightly offended that John Lewis (surely a bastion of demure Englishness) had bought into the loveless Americafest of Halloween. However my niece was intrigued by the lure of the lucky dip if she were to find the twelve ghosts hidden in twelve 'never knowingly undersold' departments.

So after coffee the quest began.. the first one in childrenswear was easily found, but thats where the error was. We should have just stopped at that point. But no! It got into our little heads (well me mum and dad's) that we should now get all twelve. How hard could it be? So, we split up (tactics folks!).. dad tried funrishing and drew a blank, womenswear was elusive too, but by now we had found linens and soft furnishings.. the quest was truly on.

The ground floor offered up its ghosts without complaint (and I got an airport extreme card for £50.. bargain!!!), which left us with four to go..

By this point we were clearly losing it- both dad and I considered mugging small children for their record sheets in search of the elusive womenswear ghost.. I was sorely tempted to follow two very knowledgeable looking infants (quickly decided that would be a BAD way to end my teaching career!)..

In the end- an hour and a half later.. we finally worked out that womenswear ghost was number five and my niece trotted off to get her prize.. a Thorntons chocolate broomstick!!

Was it worth it? who knows? Was it a slightly scary insight into my competitive side? Yes. Should I condone Halloween? probably not.. but how do contextualise it for a kid who doesn't do church and who just thinks ghosts are people in white sheets?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on