Skip to main content

Marathon

I can't, late this Sunday night, not mention Paula Radcliffe. In her stopping running six or so hours ago I think I saw something quite profound. I think I saw a humbling lost-ness. When the Ethiopian runner (who incidentally had been cheered on by her husband as she ran..) passed her, and Radcliffe hit fourth place again it was almost like her spirit broke. To be faced with the thought of once agin not making the medals, once more feeling failure seemed to break her. And what we saw was a lost ness.. What do I do now? I am surrounded by people but all alone. I only have somewhere to go in this situation if I am running.. and if I stop then I am out of place here.

In the moment I believe it took more courage to stop.

The realisation that the race could not be won brought pain and hurt to Radcliffe but she stopped and faced that reality.. is there something for us in this? Will we realise that this mad wordlinesss of chase and greed cannot be won. Will we stop?

We face the prospect of feeling out of place. It will hurt. (An elderly Greek couple may try to console us!?) But we will have stopped running a race where no-one can win. We will sit on the pavement and begin to watch the real world, the world outside of the spray painted blue line of best fit. The cheering crowds will come into focus.. dare I suggest a cloud of witnesses, cheering us.. not in this race.. but one of far greater worth.

Will we stop? Do we have the courage to stop?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering What I Enjoy..

Occasionally I forget things. Some stuff like birthdays, names and stuff is a normal human thing, and I don't sweat it so much. But I also forget some other stuff which is not so good. I forget what I enjoy. I don't know how it happens but it does from time to time. And its at these moments that I need a bit of help remembering. So- this is a request for help. What do I enjoy doing? What gives me joy? Leave me a comment.

A Broadside: *plot spoiler* for Tory sympathisers

Today some alarming social equality data was released. It said what we all know: if you are poor, you have less opportunities in life. For every £100 a month less income than the median you start school one month behind developmentally. Your vocabulary aged 5 is half what it is for a rich kid if you are in the bottom ten percent of income. Housing tenure stats are even worse. "Only 4 per cent of those of working age living in social housing have degrees, and nearly half have no or only low qualifications. Only half of men and 42 per cent of women of working age living in social housing are in paid work, compared with 89 per cent of men and 81 per cent of women in households with a mortgage." Social housing: by its nature, is grouped (london people ignore this, you are the freaks not the norm). That means that we have allowed ghettoes of poverty and low attainment (not just in a SATS way either). Now it would be easy, and some daft Tory has already done it, to pin this on