Skip to main content

hanging on the telephone...

Well. I'm sat here at a mouse powered PC in my office ala boiler room. I journeyed into the Apple Store today to see how my baby is doing- but they couldn't let me see her. They just said they are still running tests and WILL phone me to tell me whats going on. And so I'm sat here waiting by the phone. There is a bit of me that just wants to splash out on a new one.. but no.. I will be patient and wait.

I need to confess that the lack of laptop is having a VERY detrimental effect on me. I hadn't clocked just how reliant I am on it. It has all my documents and email and everything- I feel a bit like a part of me has been cut off.

Its a bit of a reflection of my wider week. It feels like lots of stuff is being stripped away just now: like God's taking me back to basics and going, Jude Smith- I love you. Thats it.. nothing more, nothing less.. what are you going to do about it?

Like with my laptop I'm squirming. I want to get a new something.. people to distract, jobs to do.. but God's asking me to sit by the phone and wait. To listen to see how I'm doing, whats broken and what might fix it. Its a scary time. It feels vulnerable. About 65% of me doesn't want to sit under it. But the 35% is very wisely reminding me that he works ALL things for good.

A part of me expects there to be an ironic conclusion to all this- that as I realise that God is enough (I hope more than enough.. I'm a bit fed up with just enough.. ) I'll also have my lovely ibook restored to me.. ready to record and assist in the next adventure.

In the meantime I'll just wait..

Comments

Liz said…
Oh, Jude :o(

Recently, I've had more and more dreams in which something happens to my laptop, and I'm always devastated.

One of the hinges broke last week, and I screamed.

It's so easy to be dependent on them, isn't it :o(

Very very sorry...
Steveybabe said…
My computer died once and it took ages to get sorted (even for an IT guy). Felt very restricted in what I could do, but also very liberating! A strange concoction of emotions but great for getting back to the basics.

Popular posts from this blog

Living in a post democracy

How to live in a post democracy So- the last post was pretty gloomy, but all is not lost. Here are five things we can do. 1 Register to vote and tell everyone you know to do the same. Our best hope is to vote and make our voices heard in the time honoured fashion. Vote in everything, even if you spoil your paper. We have to show that this is still the way. 2 Subscribe. If we want a diverse media we have to pay for it. Become a member of the Guardian or pay for the Independent online. Or buy the Mirror. And for goodness sake BUY A TV LICENCE! You may also want to consider joining a Union. 3 Support the positive. For those of us who can afford local, organic produce then lets be intentional about it. Lets be intentional about using local energy supply and seeking companies who already have a commitment to things like good food labelling and non GM (which also includes Aldi and Iceland as far as I am aware). There is a list of companies who are anti TTIP. They are primarily...

Poppies, jingoism and the word absurd!

Morning one and all. Well I am back from holiday and in a particularly shoot from the hip place! So today's topic of tirade is poppy fascism! Its a strong comment but I think its where we have gotten to as a nation. As I tap away many folks are getting in a little tizzy about the fact that England can't wear poppies on their shirts on Saturday. FIFA is being pilloried as if they had run over the Queen Mother's cat in a hummer whilst playing gangster rap! What FIFA is actually doing is holding to the line that stops Israel celebrating the 1967 land grab, or Iran commemorating its losses in the last thirty years. Or actually more comparatively, it stops there being a Comic Relief shirt, or a Children In Need one.. or some other charity. Because in our latter day tyranny where one gets stared down if one doesn't wear a poppy, we have forgotten that the Poppy campaign is just that. It is a charity fundraiser. I am not saying that the British Legion is not worthy of ra...

Halloween Madness (but not as you might think)

I went shopping today with my family (dad, mum and niece). As is traditional in the family Smith, first stop was for a quick coffee before hitting the stores. Was just about to wander to a comfy seat with my latte when a suitably rotund witch acosted me and my niece to ask if we wanted to do the Halloween Ghost hunt. Now as you can imagine I don't really go for halloween, and was slightly offended that John Lewis (surely a bastion of demure Englishness) had bought into the loveless Americafest of Halloween. However my niece was intrigued by the lure of the lucky dip if she were to find the twelve ghosts hidden in twelve 'never knowingly undersold' departments. So after coffee the quest began.. the first one in childrenswear was easily found, but thats where the error was. We should have just stopped at that point. But no! It got into our little heads (well me mum and dad's) that we should now get all twelve. How hard could it be? So, we split up (tactics fol...